Jared Wells and George Kottaras were added to the Padres' 40-man roster on Thursday but the work…
But to rank "prospects" properly, we first must understand what a prospect is. Webster's Dictionary defines the word prospect as "something expected." In the world of baseball, the word is used to define minor league players expected to have a key role on a Major League roster someday. In the case of Brendan Donnelly, a 27th round pick by the Chicago White Sox in the 1992 MLB Draft, his ascension and subsequent success in the Majors was not expected.
When looking at all the players that played in the Major Leagues in 2005, and averaging out the ages of their Major League debuts, the median age for a player to reach the big leagues is 23.4 years old.
Keeping that average age in mind, it is quite obvious that there are quite a few players making their debuts at an older age. However, a whopping 83.2% of current Major League players made their big league debuts before their 26th birthday, leaving just 16.8% of players at the age of 26 or older in their Major League debuts.
On the Padres 2005 roster, Chris Oxspring, Woody Williams, Scott Cassidy, Dave Roberts and Akinori Otsuka made their Major League debuts beyond the age of 26 years old. Two players, Otsuka and Oxspring, were imported from foreign countries and were either ineligible to play stateside or began their career late. Williams has carved out a nice career, as has Roberts, but the superstars are generally bred at an early age and thus make their debuts quicker.
Quoting an old adage: "Age is a matter of the mind. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." While age might not be the ultimate determining factor on a player's Major League career, it does create certain unquestionable odds as to whether or not particular player will make it.
If the odds are stacked against a player, it can't be expected that he defies the odds. And if it can't be expected, chances are they are not a top prospect.
Subscribe to MadFriars.com today! Only $79.95 brings you one full year of Total Access Pass and all premium content on MadFriars.com, Scout™ Player and Roster Database (including the 'Hot News' at the top of the site), Breaking News and Information, Total Access to all Scout.com Websites, and Player Pages, detailing the progress and careers of players from high school, the minors, and the pro ranks.
Sample the MadFriars.com Total Access Pass™ at no risk for 7 days, then pay only $7.95 or $21.95. If you want to save 2 months off the monthly subscription price, simply choose the annual MadFriars.com Total Access Pass™ at $79.95.
MadFriars.com Recommended Stories
5 Genius Tips To Make Your Tailgate Awesome
Tailgating is a time-honored tradition, but there’s no doubt that it’s come a long way. We now have portable electric generators, high-tech grills and heaters to enhance our tailgating celebrations –…Read More
Broncos Beat Chargers 35-21
Peyton Manning leads the Broncos to a Division win.Read More
6 Sports Records Made to Be Broken
Move over Manning—here's a list of the best individual sports records that are ripe for breaking.Read More
TBT: Pumpkin Carving With A Handgun
While many hunters are focused on pursuing big game in late October, it’s also time to make sure you’re ready for Halloween, and specifically trick-or-treaters. In this throwback Thursday video,…Read More
NFL WEEK 7: Cheerleaders Who Need a Hug
It's easy to smile when your team wins. Here's to those women who didn't have it so easy.Read More