Arizona is 2 ½ games back in the wild card race and the Padres need to win 12 games out of the…
The Friar Thermometer (8/17-8/23)
1) Sean Burroughs - .389 BA, 2 doubles, 1 triple
• Burroughs was moved to the leadoff spot Friday and responded by reaching base safely in six of 10 plate appearances.
2) Rod Beck – 3 appearances, 1-0 record, 2 saves, 1 baserunner in 2 1/3 innings
• Beck has been one of the best relievers in all of baseball since the Padres signed him in early June. He is a perfect 18-for-18 in saves. He even stayed after the game Thursday and had some beers with some fans in the parking lot.
3) Jake Peavy – 1 start, 7 innings, 6 hits, no runs, 7 strikeouts, no decision in Padres' win
• Peavy is on here not only for his fantastic start Wednesday night, but also for the context in which that start was made. Peavy's wife has been having health problems lately and was hospitalized Wednesday when Peavy made this start. For those guts, Jake gets the nod here. Also, best wishes to Katie Peavy on a speedy recovery.
1) Ryan Klesko - .136 BA, 1 double, 7 strikeouts, 0 RBI
• Klesko struggled mightily, not only this, but for the past month or so. He has yet to hit a home run in August and has only driven in one man this month. It appears his injured shoulder is severely affecting his play.
2) Mark Loretta - .143 BA, HR, RBI, 4 strikeouts
• Loretta has unquestionably been the Padres' MVP this season. He had a tough week, but still helped the team win by hitting a big home run Wednesday night against the Mets.
3) Joe Roa – 2 appearances, 2 2/3 innings, 3 earned runs allowed, 10.13 ERA.
• The journeyman Roa is used mainly in mop-up situations and in long relief. With the exception of Roa, the Padres' bullpen has been very solid the past week.
On-Fire Future Friars:
1) Jason Bay (OF – Class AAA Portland) – 10 hits in 24 at-bats (.417), 2 doubles, HR, 2 stolen bases
• Bay has been a superstar for the Beavers all season. Despite missing nearly seven weeks with a broken wrist, Bay already is well over 20 homers and 20 steals. He is expected to get a call up to the Padres in September.
2) Cory Doyne (RHP – Class A Fort Wayne) – 2 starts, 12 2/3 innings, six hits, 14 strikeouts, 2-0 record.
• It was the third and fourth straight win for Doyne who began the year 0-5. Doyne was a member of the Cubs organization last season.
3) Jose Lobaton (DH – Rookie League Idaho Falls) - .357 BA, 10 RBI in only 14 at-bats • Lobaton was signed as a free agent out of Venezuela in 2002. He has 30 RBI for the season in only 46 games.
Frozen Future Friars:
1) Carlton Loewer (RHP – Class AAA Portland) – 1 start, 7 runs allowed, 5 hits, 37.73 ERA, 0-1 record.
• Loewer only lasted 1 2/3 innings in his start this week. Unfortunately for him, it looks like his career may be coming to an end which is a shame after all he went through coming back from that horrific hunting accident in 2000.
2) Luke Carlin (C – Short-Season Class A Eugene) – 1 hit in 17 at-bats (.059) , run scored
• Carlin, a 22-year-old signed as a free agent this season, had a very tough week for the Emeralds. He is a switch-hitter and that could prove valuable in the future.
3) Daniel Moore (LHP – Short-Season Class A Eugene) – 1 start, 9 runs allowed, 34.76 ERA, 0-1 record
• Moore, the Padres' 2nd-round pick this year out of North Carolina, has had his ups and downs this far into his professional career. This past week was one of the down times for the big 6'5" lefty.
MadFriars.com Recommended Stories
Week 8: Super Sleepers
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Jeb Gorham digs in his list of rankings to find the best sleepers for deeper formats. Consider giving these players a chance, but be aware of the risk! Tampa Bay…Read More
Watch: Sailfish Goes Psycho!
Check out this classic video of Dan Larson battling an acrobatic sailfish on a trip to the world-famous Tropic Star Lodge in Panama.Read More
BOMBS AWAY: ISIS BEFORE AND AFTER AIRSTRIKE
Photographer Bulent Kilic captured these amazing images of ISIS members who were on the very wrong end of an allied bombing in Turkey.Read More
TBT: Pumpkin Carving With A Handgun
While many hunters are focused on pursuing big game in late October, it’s also time to make sure you’re ready for Halloween, and specifically trick-or-treaters. In this throwback Thursday video,…Read More
Sullivan weighs seriousness of concussions
John Sullivan has suffered five concussions in his seven-year career, but he doesn’t believe his future is “in doubt.” He weighs the severity of the concussions against the number of them.Read More